Unboxing Queer History is a podcast from Gerber/Hart Library and Archives.
Each of the 8 episodes in Unboxing Queer History focus on a different story from the LGBTQ history inside of Gerber/Hart’s collections and archives. The episodes range from discussions of the importance of a LGBTQ circulating library to Chicago drag history and include interviews with community leaders, volunteers, researchers, and local historians.
Episode Release Schedule
- February 1: “The Dirty Old Lady” – Chicago Drag History and the Mystery of Miss Tillie
- February 15: A Library and Archives for Us: The Story of Gerber/Hart Library and Archives
- March 1: Amigas Latinas – Latina, Queer and Together
- March 15: People Like Us – So Much More Than a Bookstore
- April 5: Lorrainne Sade Baskerville -- Joy, Survival, and Legacy
- April 19: GALS Just Want to Have Fun: A Lesbian Fishing Group for Chicago
Pride Month Episodes
- June 14: Bill Kelley – A Lifetime of Chicago Activism
- June 28: Queers Read This – 90s Queer Activism and Exhibits at Gerber/Hart
The podcast is produced by audio artist and producer Ari Mejia and co-edited by Erin Bell and Jen Dentel. Artwork by Mere Montgomery and theme music by Danny Robles.
This podcast was made possible by a My Library Is grant from RAILS (Reaching Across Illinois Library System).